The Legacy of Molly Blank
The late Molly Blank was many things. She was a philanthropist, an artist, a fighter for social justice and a loving mother and role model to Michael Blank and Arthur M. Blank. Molly was generous to those in need, even when she didn’t have much to give. And she was a woman of principle. Where others would accept injustice, no matter the scope or size, Molly didn’t hesitate to speak up and stand up for what she believed to be right. As she liked to say, “It’s the principle of the thing.”
Molly Blank’s strength and personal convictions inspired and guided her son Arthur’s approach to life, business and philanthropy. In her honor, The Molly Blank Fund (the Fund), an extension of the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation, continues to support causes and organizations that Molly believed in. The Fund’s investment strategy remains focused on programs that address the interests Molly supported in her lifetime, including at-risk youth, arts and culture, and Jewish causes emphasizing social justice and interfaith coalitions. The Fund invests in programs primarily in Arizona and Georgia, where Molly’s sons currently reside.
Previous Fund grantees include:
- $100,000 for the Breman Museum in Atlanta to support the Molly Blank Cultural Series that features author talks, Jewish history, music and comedy
- $600,000 for the Atlanta Opera’s “Discovery Series”
- $7 million for National Jewish Health in Denver, Colorado, that established the Molly Blank Pediatric Care Fund at National Jewish Health, where approximately one-third of pediatric patients receive charity care each year
- $1 million to support PJ Library, which provides free books to more than 600,000 Jewish children
- $562,000 for the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix to support educational field trips and early childhood music and movement courses for youth
Molly Blank lived with her own unique blend of passion and toughness. She understood that she had limited time in the world and that any act of kindness could change the world for the better. At the same time, she challenged herself and others to fight for what is right.
The legacy of Molly Blank lives on through the values and acts of giving that her sons share with their own children and grandchildren. The foundation is proud to carry on that legacy through the philanthropic endeavors of the Molly Blank Fund.
“You only pass through life once, so make it count.” – Molly Blank.